Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 60 of this 60-Day Novena/Blog

"Seize this very minute; what you can do, or dream you can, begin it;
boldness has genius, power and magic in it."- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
- Basil King


Dear God, Our Lady, Angels, Spirit, St. Jude, and Anyone Else To Whom It May Concern:

When I heard about the plights of Ranger and then Bonnie two months ago, my commitment to do a 60-day novena and this blog on their collective behalf was the best I had. Even as that “best” seemed pretty damned lame, I have learned that the power of focused intent is not to be underestimated.*

I know that the minute the commitment kicks in, the journey of a thousand miles begins, and I have no idea where it's going to take me; but I'm assured it will transform me more than any Oprah make-over ever could. The blog and novena were not supposed to be about me; but just as "prayer does not change God, but changes the one who prays", I was probably the biggest beneficiary of my own efforts. I learned so much, I was touched by so many good people, and I was able to do a little good.

What I learned:

  • The dreadful extent of companion animals euthanized in the United States, with estimates ranging from 3-9 million annually
  • The work that is being done—by such stalwarts as Nathan Winograd, Mark Barone and Marina Dervan with An Act of Dog, No Kill Nation, No Kill Advocacy Center, Ryan Clinton, and many others—to make America a no-kill nation 
  • The connection between domestic abuse and animal abuse and the many programs in place to save and foster the pets of domestic abuse victims—but so many more are needed.
  • The very real problem of animal hoarding 
  • How many pets are being surrendered due to economic problems and home loss, and what can be done to help
  • Just as "all that glitters is not gold", all that says "save the animals" is not in the best interests of those animals. Sadly some rescues do not properly care for their animals, some animal hoarders set themselves up as 501(c)3 non-profit rescues, some "adopters" cruelly use dogs for bait in animal fighting rings, and some well-intentioned folks simply don't know what they're doing. We want to get these fur babies out of shelters and adopted or rescued—but we must do our due diligence in assuring that they are going to a better situation.
  • How many truly wonderful, knowledgeable, competent, and compassionate people are working in animal rescue
  • About the Fleet Feet Madison/Shelter From the Storm Sneakers and Leashes program, which I LOVE 
  • That I can keep a commitment to do a post every day even when I'm on vacation
    In yesterday's post I enumerated just a few of the people I've gotten to know (most long-distance with hopes of making a big-honkin' road trip to meet them all in person) through doing this blog:
  • Joe Skenesky of Joe's Animal House and the Carrollton, TX shelter
  • Christy Masoner Spence, "ninja" animal rescuer
  • Phyllis Allison of Sunflower Hill Animal Rescue in Terrell, TX
  • Teresa Weldon of Four Paws and Hooves Animal Rescue in Springtown, TX [A sad, sad update:  May 2012 - Teresa was found to be a hoarder using rescue 501c3 status to support her sickness. Over 60 dogs in fair to untreatable condition taken from her place, including Ranger. He ultimately had to be euthanized.]
  • Butch Cappel of Pets Are for Life (P.A.L.). 

Add to that list:
  • Marina Dervan and Mark Barone of An Act of Dog
  • Ryan Clinton, Texas appellate attorney and animal advocate
  • Alexis Ziemann, runner and Shelter from the Storm volunteer (I do know her personally and happy for it)
  • The people and their dogs I met in New York who so generously shared their stories
The tangible good that came from this (maybe):
  • Getting to know Phyllis Allison of Sunflower Hill Rescue was not only a personal delight, inspiration, and education (the woman never stops learning about the latest research in veterinary medicine and animal care); but because of our acquaintanceship, I was able to call her about three dogs in the Carrollton shelter that had not been adopted or rescued and were close to death row. She saved them.
  • Also inspired by Phyllis when I'd learned she'd fostered dogs for various people having economic and housing problems until they were in a position to re-home their pets, I called our local DCHS to see if they had any kind of fostering program for such issues. They replied they did not have the resources to administer such a program. But a couple weeks after my inquiry, I got an email from the DCHS volunteer coordinator saying they are ramping up a program to help keep pets in their homes by providing pet food and cat litter through food pantries for those people who are having problems providing for their family pets. Whether my inquiry prompted any of this, I don't know. I have made my volunteer services available for anything I can do to support it.
  • After my Sneakers and Leashes post about running the 120-pound mastiff/St. Bernard mix Ziggy, he was adopted the following Saturday. He had been at the shelter for 7 months. Fleet Feet tweeted and shared my post on Facebook, so I don't know if the extra exposure helped Ziggy find his "furever" home or if it was just his time. Regardless, I loved my time with Ziggy and so glad to know he's home.

    Oddly, I don't know if this effort did anything for Bonnie and Ranger, but I hope with that amazing sixth sense that dogs possess, they knew they had a cheering section and that their guardian angels are watching out for them. 
     (Post script:  A few weeks after this post, Ranger was adopted and now has his own loving family with whom to run, play, and cuddle. Bonnie continues to be loved and get her treats at Sunflower Hill Rescue.) 

    God & Co., I cannot express how grateful I am for this whole experience. This is the final day of my 60-day commitment; and it's time to put closure to it, which makes me sad. I know it doesn't have to end, and I may continue to post now and then; and I will definitely continue my  rescue efforts. But it's also time to move on to other things. I close now with a dedication to the shelter animals who have so enriched my life over the years, and shared their love and enthusiasm so joyfully and unconditionally.
  • Madison, Vizla mix, adopted in San Francisco 1989, the first dog my daughter Carrie and I adopted. 
  • Dakota, in Sacramento 1991, the flat-coated retriever "foster" dog who never left.
  • Murray (pictured in the top photo, back of the SUV, dog on the right), in Sacramento 1993, even at 8 months old big enough to be considered livestock and close to execution at the Sacramento County pound; I simply couldn't let that happen. BEST DOG EVER.
  • Belistar "Bella" (pictured in her Montana Dogware coat), in Sacramento 1995, the greyhound track star who still loved to run but took her retirement very seriously.
  • Bill, abandoned at the Sacramento SPCA 2001, volunteers named him "Murray", random friends who saw his picture,  name, and age of 8 (all identical to my Murray) kept calling to see if my Murray was okay—didn't think I wanted or needed another dog, but the Universe knew better.We had to rename him because it was too confusing having two Murrays, and the friends who had been the "voice of God" chose "Bill". (Pictured on the left side of the SUV picture at the top)
  • Jazz, in Madison 2007 (pictured singing with the "Comeback Choir" and with Oreo), diva Treeing Walker Coonhound relinquished to the Dane County Humane Society at age 10 along with her pet cat Oreo (pictured with his pet dog Jazz), also 10. 
All of the others have passed, but Jazz and Oreo still wake us up in the morning so their pampering can begin.

God & Co, Dog & Co, Mighty Forces that came to my aid, I can only say "much obliged".

xo
Liz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Such biblical stories as the loaves and fishes, the oil lamps in the temple, the walls of Jericho, and David and Goliath are prime examples of the power of focused intent, while real-life via Hollywood has show-cased it with such offerings as Rudy and The Blind Side. Why is it that most real-life focused intent stories that make it to the Big Screen are about football players and not about determined bloggers and wannabe animal saviors?

3 comments:

  1. Meant to tell you when I first read this...it made me cry. Such a good ending, I'm glad you listed each of our rescue dogs. I still think about them often. Noticed the bitch (in more ways than one) Jerry Lee wasn't listed, but I still think of her too. Getting both her and Murray at the same time when we already had 2 dogs...what an adventure that was. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa Weldon is in Parker County jail right now...58 dogs were living in filth, starving, and full of parasites. All seized by the county, thank God. 2 had to be euthanized. 30+ crates were stacked in her home with dogs in them, laying in their own urine and feces. A one year old child was found in a back bedroom laying in dog feces. She was also picked up for theft by check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Anonymous (sorry, don't recognize the name) for your courage in stepping forward. Yes, I was made aware of this earlier today; and there were several of us who have noticed the inconsistencies in Theresa's behavior and practices for several months and have changed our view of her as a rescuer to suspecting she was a hoarder. It's taken this long to get anyone to act on it. She put on a good act & had many of us fooled for quite some time. Our thoughts & prayers are with these dogs who have been through so much, and fear that Ranger may be among them. (Next time, please post your name. Thank you.)

    ReplyDelete