Monday, August 22, 2011

Fleet Feet and Peppy Paws: Part Deux

Two weeks ago I posted about my first Fleet Feet/Shelter From the Storm run, and I am happy to report that the enormous, lovable, and amazing St. Bernard/mastiff mix Ziggy was adopted the following Saturday.  Yeaaaa!

Since I was returning from New York today, I didn't think I would get to do the scheduled SFTS run tonight; but an early flight made it possible, and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to participate again.


My first running partner of the evening was Duchess, a Rottweiler/German Shepherd mix. Her Petfinder profile describes her as a "heavy weight" that "could stand to lose a few pounds"; but I prefer to think of her as beautifully Rubinesque or in runner language, an "Athena". Duchess is friendly and gentle (although maybe not so much with little dogs
I was warned she's not overly fond of them so to be judicious with socializing), and she cozied right up to some pre-run belly-scratching and ear-rubbing. Then we got down to business, and the paws met the road. She kept up a steady pace, with a few sidetracks when the smells became so irresistible she simply had to investigate. As with all of the SFTS dogs, she seemed overjoyed to be outside. Upon returning from our delightful 2-mile jaunt, I regretfully bid my affectionate, agreeable companion adieu.
Bon Jovi, boy wonder dog, was next on the adventure list. This Yorkie/Shih Tzu mix is 100 pounds of spunk in a 10-pound body. No creature should be this adorable. Like Duchess, I'm not typically a big fan of little dogs, but Bon Jovi had me at "Arf." Alexis told me he reportedly would sprint for a very short time, then mellow to a more sedate pace. (Also like Duchess, I am a "Rubinesque Athena"; and I prefer to transport my bulk at a tempo that does not make my fat bounce.) The little sh... ummm... Shih Tzu never slowed down. As I gasped and wheezed (oh Ziggy, I so sympathize with you now!), while no doubt turning beet-red, Bon Jovi's tiny little feet churned in a blur, rocketing him down the sidewalk and setting new land speed records.  After 2 miles with Bon Jovi, I had had a great workout and was grateful to be back at SFTS without some dire cardiac event. Bon Jovi took a dainty lap of water and seemed ready for another run. Next time, sweet boy—although I hope your forever home whisks you away to happily ever after before then. Bon chance, Bon Jovi.

No comments:

Post a Comment