Saturday, July 9, 2011

How do I know what I'm getting?

One of the prevailing concerns among those reluctant to adopt a companion animal from a shelter or rescue organization is that the health and temperament of the pet will be an unknown quantity. This is a legitimate concern; but just as a reputable breeder will be aware of and share such information, so will a reputable shelter.


I have had experience on both sides of that coin. The first dog I ever adopted was from a rescue organization in San Francisco. My ignorance about dogs meant I didn't know what to ask, what to expect--I didn't know what I didn't know--and the results were a painful lesson. The dog turned out to be a fear biter, and I later learned that the woman in charge of the rescue organization made a practice of rescuing biters without rehabilitating them. Nor did she apprise adopters of this, which should be considered criminal.


The Sacramento Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to AnimalsWith experience comes wisdom. A little luck helps too. When I adopted from the Sacramento SPCA, their policy was to perform rigorous testing for temperament and health issues. They let me know that the  senior dog I was interested in adopting was good with dogs and children, not so much with cats. He had a hernia, but they would repair that at the same time he was neutered. Bill was all they said he was, and he was a great dog that I happily shared my life and home with until he passed away in my arms at age 15.


Event RegistrationMy experience has been the same with the Dane County Humane Society (DCHS) in Madison, WI. They are scrupulous in testing for health and temperament issues and providing full disclosure.


The first rule is to adopt from a principled organization. Every animal should come with detailed information that lets you know if it is good with children, other dogs, other cats, and even with men and/or women (some companion animals have gender biases); if it has any temperament issues; and if it has any health issues.


If a shelter or rescue (okay, I don't even want to use the "B" word, but in the name of due diligence--or even a breeder) does not volunteer such information, ASK. But the fact that it is not presented up front could be a red flag about whom you are dealing with.


This is your precious life and home into which you are bringing another (also precious) living being. You owe it to all concerned to make sure it's a good fit. Adopting from a shelter or rescue that does its homework makes it far easier to do yours and to have the best experience of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment