Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Patience and tolerance not being my strong suits....

Dear God, Our Lady, Angels, Spirit, and Anyone Else To Whom It May Concern:

This evening I was at an outdoor concert with friends when a woman with a Yorkshire Terrier approached and was talking about it with the friend of a friend (FOAF). With my single-minded focus I excitedly inquired of the dog owner, "Oh, is it a rescue?"


The woman peered down her perfect nose with a look I would have expected if I'd asked her if she'd bathed at the local sewage treatment plant. She coldly replied, "No, I bought it from a breeder." The FOAF eagerly continued getting the breeder information. After Yorkie Gal departed, I asked FOAF why she didn't check with one of the Yorkie rescue organizations. FOAF kept telling me, "I want a teacup. I want a teacup. I want a teacup." Oh for chissake. I get it.


Our mutual friend whom, ironically, I know from doing volunteer work together at the Humane Society asked her friend, "What if it's a puppy mill?" FOAF blithely responded, "Oh that wouldn't happen. Those are illegal." Nothing would convince her that puppy mills were not a phenomenon of the distant past.


I felt sick. I felt angry. It was all I could do to keep from yelling, "You stupid bitch. You're part of the problem." I had to get away from her. But I can't get away from the problem.


Day after day we deal with so many animals in desperate need of rescue, foster, and forever homes. There are so many of us committed to rescue. Pleading. Scraping together funds. Networking. Please, can you save this one? Can you foster that one? Can you donate for their vetting? Please? Even as we are investing our hearts and souls, we know that with all our good works, fervent prayers, and passionate efforts we're only successful in saving a percentage. And the others die.



All the while people like this ignorant woman continue to be patrons to profitable breeding machines whether it's a puppy mill or even a reputable breeder. Why? Status. Vanity.

God & Co., forgive me for my impatience, intolerance, and utter fury. How do I reconcile this? How do I learn acceptance without condoning what feels like an act against all that is right? How can I make this sick feeling in my stomach go away?


Thank You for listening. (You are listening, aren't You?)

Liz

1 comment:

  1. I have all the same issues as you do about this. If we don't take a stand against this problem we are ignoring something basic about our hearts and our authentic selves. Let's start a revolution to cage the people. sigh.

    ReplyDelete