Saturday, July 2, 2011

Patron Saint of Dogs


I'm looking for all the help I can get to find forever homes for Ranger and Bonnie--human, deity, technology, saint. Anyone? Anyone? In the spirit of that search to bring all comers for this mission and novena, I Googled  "patron saint of dogs" and learned that St. Roch is the "patron saint of dogs and those who love them".

St. Roch (or "Roche", or "San Rocco" to his friends)  lived in the late 13th and early 14th Centuries and ministered to plague victims until he became a victim of the disease himself. To avoid his illness being a burden to others, Roch removed himself to the forest to die. A dog found him there and ministered to him, bringing him food from the village, and licking his wounds until ultimately Roch recovered. (It sounds like maybe Dog should have become the patron saint of Roch/Rocco, but that's not how it went.)

Not being Catholic, I'm not up on saints and how to implore them, but I'm here today to ask St. Roch: Wherever you are and in whatever capacity, please join in this endeavor and help find forever homes for Ranger and Bonnie. You know they'd do the same for you if they could.

And for anyone reading this, I ask you to do the same. Please network Bonnie and Ranger, let your friends know, share their info on Facebook. You never know when and where help might come.

Ranger:  (817) 483-2026
Bonnie:  (972) 524-4074

I'm in Chicago this weekend, but the novena candles continue to burn in my kitchen at home; and I continue to pray and keep my vigil by posting daily.

Blessings and thanks to all of you who are participants.

xo
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment